Sunday, September 27, 2009

General Update-090926

I finally fixed the rabbitry roof today. I used a 2 ton jack to lift the bow out of the middle, then cut and screwed in a 2"x4" on edge. Previously I had layed the orginal roof support in flat so as I added the shingles the roof began to bow.

It occurs to me that I should comment on the size and configuration of my rabbitry:

My rabbitry consists of two seperate pole constructed frames with a 2.5' isle in between. So, four poles on the South set and a lean-to roof sloping to the South. The 2.5' and another four poles and a roof sloping to the North. So basically I have two 3'x8' roofs. Each four sets of poles are wide enough to support two 2'x2'x8' cages one over the top of the other.

I built the cages seperately and slid them into the frame. The South two cages are actually divided into two 2'x2'x4' cages so 4 cages in all. They will house the two pairs of breeder rabbits. The North cages are divided into 3 cages each for a total of six cages. These will hold 2-3 "fryer" rabbits, those heading for the freezer. All the doors to both sides face in. I also built four 2'x8' trays that go beneath the rabbit cages to catch their manure which i will add to my compost pile.

Before I took the bow out of the roof it had begun to drip into the front. Now, there is a 12" gap between the two roofs but it just hit me wrong that I should also funnel water in the middle! Anyway, fixed now.

I am ready to set up the chicken coop, placing feeders and waters, as well as begin to buy feed and hay. On the rabbit side I still need to build nest boxes but I did get the basic diagram of one so I can build it. I have most of the plywood. Then I will need to buy the waterers and feeders, about $100, I think, all totalled.

Then onto the aquaponics system. Part of me just thinks buy some cheap koi, and goldfish since we don't eat a lot of fish, then the otherside kicks in so I think about some fried catfish and selling, trading, or giving the rest away. Even with goldfish I can raise the vegies.

My plan (currently) is to utilize fero-cement technology. I plan to lay out my 1/2 55 gal drums, join them temporarily, then lay chicken wire down and coat it with cement. Let it dry, flip it and coat the other side making 12' long troughs for my grow bins. I will use the same to build a sump, then use the polly-tank for the fish tank. I figure 2-3 12' grow bins will probably do me well but I will have to work out the correct numbers for the amonia-nitrogen conversion so the fish won't suffer. But even then, I don't intend to raise 200lbs of fish so 2-3 long grow bins will probably be enough.

Tony
Pensacola

No comments:

Post a Comment